Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Online Presence

I have always used social media, ever since I got my first smartphone, yet I was never a fanatic over it. There are all types of people who let people on those platforms control their life, and share everything with them. I could not express my personal information to hundreds or thousands of people that I don't even know. That is just something that I could never be comfortable with.

I currently use Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram (sometimes on a daily basis). I understand that Snapchat helps build their daily user statistics by its users having Snapchat "Streaks." Streaks are only kept if you Snap a picture to each other at least once every 24-hours. I am constantly using Twitter because my friends send me funny or relatable tweets, or I notice them while scrolling on my feed. Twitter also gives me up to date information on politics, or any kind of news that I would like to know. I am not on Instagram as much because, as a college student, I have been very busy with school work and I have not had the time to post pictures or anything along those lines. I also use YouTube on a daily basis because I am a music fanatic and I enjoy watching music videos.

Facebook is not used as much because it does not meet the requirements that I have for a social media platform (like Twitter.) I tend to only use Facebook when I have recently reached a goal, a special occasion, or even when I want to reach out to a long-lost friend. I do not give out any personal information because I know how some people can be, and in my eyes it is very disturbing that people want to watch your every move. The only thing that all of my social media platforms have is my email address, and the only reason for that is because you must enter an email and/or phone number to create an account.

I have been thinking about going off the grid because of all of the incidents that are happening through information found on social media. The fact that it happens so often and it is almost as if anyone can find me or find out about me, scares me to the point where I do not want it anymore. There are scary things happening in the world, and especially to young women who are my age. It is a scary world that we live in and I am just trying to get through it.

(:

For more information on why social media can be bad you, check this out: Is Social Media Bad For You?
This article speaks about how your self-esteem can be affected, as well as the reduce of life satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FHP

I recently did a presentation on persuading my audience as to why feminine hygiene products should be tax free. Because periods are not a lu...